Based up an appendix from my book "Bringing Every Thought Captive."
1. Judgment = receiving what we deserve.EXAMPLE: [situation] = You get stopped for speeding and the patrolman gives you a ticket. You stand before the judge. OPTIONS: 1. The judge fines you $150.00 (righteous judgment). 2. The judge cuts the fine to $75.00 (mercy). 3. Someone else pays the fine for you and gives the judge $50 to give to you for you to have an evening out with you spouse (grace). We have all broken God's Law. The penalty is spiritual death on the inside with nothing to look forward to but eternal punishment. However, Jesus paid the penalty in full for us through his death. Therefore, though faith in Jesus as Lord, we not only don't have to pay the penalty, we also receive God's grace for now and eternity. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9). Unfortunately, some people who have received the grace of God through faith in Jesus are still trying to work off their penalty. Paul says those people have fallen from grace! "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace" (Galatians 5:4). Instead of trying to work to gain God's approval, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16).
2. Mercy = not receiving what we deserve.
3. Grace = receiving what we don't deserve.
GRACE IS GOD'S UNMERITED FAVOR TO US.
1. Grace is received by faith.PLEASE NOTE:Romans 5:2 "By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God."2. Grace teaches us.Titus 2:11-12 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world."3. Grace enables us to give.Acts 4:33 "And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all."4. Grace saves us.
II Corinthians 8:1 "Moreover, brethren, we do you to wit of the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia."
II Corinthians 8:6-7 "Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also. Therefore, as ye abound in every thing, in faith, and utterance, and knowledge, and in all diligence, and in your love to us, see that ye abound in this grace also."
II Corinthians 8:9 "For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich."Acts 15:11 "But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they."5. Grace enables us to believe.
Ephesians 2:5 "Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)."
Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."Acts 18:27 "And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace."6. Grace builds us up and enables us to receive our inheritance.Acts 20:32 "And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified."7. Grace enables us to obey.
Titus 3:5-7 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."Romans 1:5 "By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:"8. Grace justifies us.Romans 3:24 "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."9. Grace brings God's blessings.Romans 4:4 "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt."10. Grace enables us to receive from God.Romans 4:16 "Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all."11. Grace enables us to reign.Romans 5:17 "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)."12. Grace reigns.
Romans 6:15 "What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."
Romans 11:6 "And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."Romans 5:21 "That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."13. Grace transforms us.Romans 12:3-4 "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office."14. Grace enables us to receive ministry gifts.Romans 12:6 "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith."15. Grace brings boldness.Romans 15:15 "Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God. "16. Grace enables us to put Satan under our feet.Romans 16:20 "And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."17. Grace brings enrichment of utterance and knowledge.I Corinthians 1:4-5 "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; that in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge."18. Grace enables us to build upon Christ.I Corinthians 3:10 "According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon."19. Grace produces good works.I Corinthians 15:10 "But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."20. Grace enables us to live a righteous life.
II Corinthians 6:1 "We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain."II Corinthians 1:12 "For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward."21. Grace has made us accepted in Christ.Ephesians 1:6 "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved."22. Grace enables us to become strong.II Corinthians 12:9-11 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing."23. Grace provides redemption and forgiveness.Ephesians 1:7 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace."24. Grace enables us to be created unto good works.Ephesians 2:7-10 "That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."25. Grace enables us to minister.I Peter 4:10 "As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."26. Grace provides unsearchable riches.
Philippians 1:7 "Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace."Ephesians 3:8 "Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ."27. Grace provides the gifts for the five-fold ministry.Ephesians 4:7 "But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ."28. Grace brings glorification to the name of Jesus.II Thessalonians 1:12 "That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ."29. Grace establishes us in good works.II Thessalonians 2:16-17 "Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work."30. Grace calls us into ministry.II Timothy 1:9 "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began."31. Grace empowers us for ministry.
Galatians 1:15 "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace."II Timothy 2:1 "Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."32. Grace provides us with access to God and gives us the help we need.Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."33. Grace enables us to serve God.Hebrews 12:28 "Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear."34. Grace establishes our hearts.Hebrews 13:9 "Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein."35. Grace makes us perfect, establishes us, strengthens us, and settles us.I Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."36. Grace gives us a place to stand.I Peter 5:12 "By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand."
1. We can grow in grace.II Peter 3:18 "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."2. We can fail the grace of God.Hebrews 12:28 "Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear."3. We can fall from grace. (fall into work / performance orientation)Galatians 5:4 "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace."4. We can frustrate the grace of God.Galatians 2:21 "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."5. We can receive more grace.I Peter 5:5 "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble."
James 4:6 "But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."