Jesus Our Substitute
2. He was made to be sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (II Corinthians 5:21).(II Corinthians 5:21) "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (I Corinthians 15:34).(I Corinthians 15:34) "Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame"
3. He was rejected that we might be fully accepted in the beloved. (Isaiah 53:3).(Isaiah 53:3) "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not." (Ephesians 1:6).(Ephesians 1:6) "To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved."
4. He was bruised that we might be free from emotional bruises and gain a new identity in him. (Isaiah 53:3).(Isaiah 53:3) "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not." (II Corinthians 5:17).(II Corinthians 5:17) "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (Galatians 2:20).(Galatians 2:20) "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
5. He bore our griefs and sorrows that we might be comforted. (Isaiah 53:4).(Isaiah 53:4) "Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted." (John 14:18).(John 14:18) "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."
6. He carried our diseases that we might be healed by his stripes. (Matthew 8:16-17).(Matthew 8:16-17) "When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses." (I Peter 2:24).(I Peter 2:24) "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."
7. He was forsaken of the Father that we might be adopted as children of God never to be forsaken. (Matthew 27:46).(Matthew 27:46) "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Hebrews 13:5).(Hebrews 13:5) "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
8. He was made poor that we through his poverty might be made rich. (Philippians 2:6-7).(Philippians 2:6-7) "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men." (II Corinthians 8:9).(II Corinthians 8:9) "For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich."
9. He was made a curse for us that we might be redeemed from the curse of the law and receive the blessings of the father. (Galatians 3:13-14). (Galatians 3:13-14) "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." (Ephesians 1:3).(Ephesians 1:3) "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ."
10. He died that we might be born of the seed of God, become children of God, and have eternal life. (Romans 5:17).(Romans 5:17) "For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (I Peter 1:23).(I Peter 1:23) "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." (I John 5:13).(I John 5:13) "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."
11. He took our sins upon himself that we might be saved from sin and the power of sin. (Romans 5:8).(Romans 5:8) "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Matthew 1:21).(Matthew 1:21) "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Romans 6:6).(Romans 6:6) "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin."
12. He suffered shame that we might be free from shame. (Isaiah 50:6).(Isaiah 50:6) "I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." (Romans 10:11).(Romans 10:11) "For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."
13. He suffered three days in hell that we might be free from the second death which is the lake of fire. (Matthew 12:40).(Matthew 12:40) "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Acts 2:27).(Acts 2:27) "Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption." (Revelation 20:14-15).(Revelation 20:14-15) "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
14. He also died that we might receive the inheritance of God as children of God. (Hebrews 9:16-17).(Hebrews 9:16-17) "For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth." (Romans 8:17).(Romans 8:17) "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Galatians 3:29).(Galatians 3:29) "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."
15. He was made a captive that we might be delivered from bondage. (John 18:12).(John 18:12) "Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound him." (Isaiah 53:8).(Isaiah 53:8) "He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken." (Luke 4:18).(Luke 4:18) "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised."
16. He shed his blood that we might be washed as white as snow. (Isaiah 1:18).(Isaiah 1:18) "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." (Revelation 7:14). (Revelation 7:14) "And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."
17. He was condemned that we might be forgiven. (Mark 14:64). (Mark 14:64) "Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death." (Ephesians 1:7).(Ephesians 1:7) "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace." (Romans 8:1). (Romans 8:1) "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."
18. He was tempted that we might overcome temptation. (Hebrews 2:18).(Hebrews 2:18) "For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted." (Hebrews 4:15). (Hebrews 4:15) "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." (I Corinthians 1:13).(I Corinthians 10:13) "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
19. He was made a victim that we might be victorious over the enemy. (Isaiah 53:7).(Isaiah 53:7) "He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth." (John 10:17-18).(John 10:17-18) "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." (I John 5:4).(I John 5:4) "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."
20. He suffered the wrath of God and was resurrected from death and hell that we might be justified. (Isaiah 53:10-11).(Isaiah 53:10-11) "Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities." (Romans 4:25).(Romans 4:25) "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification." (I Thessalonians 1:10).(I Thessalonians 1:10) "And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come."
21. He was betrayed that we might have an faithful witness before God the Father. (Mark 14:41).(Mark 14:41) "And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners." (Revelation 1:5).(Revelation 1:5) "And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood." (I John 2:1).(I John 2:1) "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."
22. He was made weak that in him we might be made strong. (II Corinthians
13:4).(II Corinthians 13:4) "For though he was crucified through
weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God. For we also are weak in him,
but we shall live with him by the power of God toward you."; (II Corinthians
12:10).(II Corinthians 12:10) "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities,
in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's
sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."