I. Who is God?
A. God is the Creator.II. Names for God.1. Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created."B. God is Eternal (Everlasting).a. Hebrew "bara" = is generally consider "out of nothing."2. "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork" (Psalms 19:1).
b. "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3).
3. Genesis 1:26-27 God created man in His own image and His own likeness. (God is a person).1. Deuteronomy 33:27 "Eternal God"C. God is Almighty (omnipotent).
2. "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God" (Psalms 90:2).1. "And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect" (Genesis 17:1).D. God is Sovereign.
2. "Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son" (Genesis 18:14).1. "Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places" (Psalms 135:6).E. God is Everywhere. (Omnipresent).
2. "And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?" (Daniel 4:35).1. "Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else" (Deuteronomy 4:39).F. God is Unchangeable.
2. "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there" (Psalms 139:7-8).1. "For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed" (Malachi 3:6).G. God is Holy.
2. "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Hebrews 13:8).1. "And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory" (Isaiah 6:3).H. God is ALL-Knowing. (omniscient).
2. "I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel" (Psalms 71:22).1. "For his eyes are upon the ways of man, and he seeth all his goings" (Job 34:21).I. God is Righteous.
2. "Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do" (Hebrews 4:13).1. "Righteous art thou, O LORD, and upright are thy judgments" (Psalms 119:137).J. God is Love.
2. "The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works" (Psalms 145:17).1. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).K. God is Merciful.
2. "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love" (I John 4:8).1. "(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them" (Deuteronomy 4:31).L. God is Gracious.
2. "It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not" (Lamentations 3:22).1. "The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy" (Psalms 145:8).
2. "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" (John 1:17).
A. El (Hebrew for God) = mighty one. Genesis 14:18 A common term for God, but sometimes uses of other gods. Exodus 15:11.III. The Unity of God.
Elohim = object of worship (plural form). Genesis 1:1, from "Alah" = meaning to swear. This form is listed 2,570 times (Genesis 1: 26, Psalm 110:4, Titus 1:2). Believers understand that there is one God made known in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
B. "I AM" (English rendering for "self existing one" see "Jehovah") = Exodus 3:14.
C. Jehovah (Hebrew = Yehweh or more likely Yahweh) = "the One who is" = LORD = KJV Please understand that the Israelites were afraid to speak the name of God for fear of using His name in vain. Therefore, there was a substitution with the Hebrew "Adonai" or KJV "LORD".
D. Jehovah-jireh = God who provides. Genesis 22:14 (Philippians 4:19).
E. Jehovah-rapha = God heals. Exodus 15:26 (Deuteronomy 7:15).
F. Jehovah-nissi = God is my banner. Exodus 17:15 (II Chronicles 20:17).
G. Jehovah-m'kaddesh = God who sanctifies. ("to sanctify" means "to set apart" usually for service) Leviticus 20:7.
H. Jehovah-shalom = God of peace. Judges 6:24 (Isaiah 26:3).
I. Jehovah-tsidkenu = God our righteousness. Jeremiah 23:5-6 (Galatians 3:6).
K. Jehovah-rohi = God my shepherd. Psalm 23:1.
L. Jehovah-shammah = God who is there. Ezekiel 48:35 (Psalm 139:7-8).
M. Other names given to God1. "Almighty" = (Hebrew "El Shaddai"). Genesis 17:1
2. "Eternal God" = Deuteronomy 33:27.
3. "Father of Lights" = James 1:17.
4. "Fortress" = II Samuel 22:2.
5. "Heavenly Father" = Matthew 6:26.
6. "Holy One of Israel" = Psalm 71:22
7. "Judge" = Genesis 18:25
8. "Living God" = Joshua 3:10
9. "Lord of Host" = I Samuel 1:11
10. "Lord of Lords" = Deuteronomy 10:27
11. "Lord of Sabaoth" (mighty in battle) = James 5:4.
12. "Most High" = Deuteronomy 32:8
13. "Our Father" = I Chronicles 29:10, Matthew 6:9
14. "The King of Glory" = Psalm 24:9-10
A. God is one.IV. The Trinity of God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).1. "That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside Me; I am the LORD; and there is none else" (Isaiah 45:6).B. God is plural.
2. "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all" (Ephesians 4:6).1. "Elohim" = is the plural form of "El".
2. Scripture:a. "And God said, Let us make man in our image ...." (Genesis 1:26a).
b. "Go to, let us go down ...." (Genesis 11:7a).
A. It is a tri-unity (not tri-thesim).V. Jesus1. It is 1 x 1 x 1 = 1B. An example in nature = H20 It is the same compound no matter what form you find it in.
2. It is not 1 + 1 + 1 = 31. Ice (solid)C. Scripture
2. Water (liquid)
3. Steam (gas)1. "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).E. Each have the attributes of God.
2. "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one" (I John 5:7-8).
3. "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me" (Isaiah 48:16).
F. Relationships1. Father = source and authority.
2. Son = born of the Father by the Spirit. A demonstration of God's grace and love.
3. Holy Spirit = the breath of God and power.
A. Jesus is God.1. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1).B. "Jesus" the name.
2. "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God" (John 20:28).
3. "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory" (I Timothy 3:16).
4. "Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God" (John 5:18).
5. "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God" (Philippians 2:5-6)."And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Matthew 1:21).C. Jesus is the God-man
1. Same as "Joshua".
2. From two Old Testament words: "Jehovah" = meaning "I AM" + "Hosea" = meaning "Saviour". Therefore, Jesus means the "I AM Saviour".
3. Throughout the Gospel of John, John shows that Jesus is the "I AM".a. Bread of life. John 6:35.
b. Light of the world. John 8:12.
c. The door. John 10:9.
d. Good shepherd. John 10:11.
e. The resurrection and the life. John 11:25.
f. Master and Lord. John 13:13.
g. The way, the truth, and the life. John 14:6.
h. The vine. John 15:5.
i. The king. John 19:37.
j. Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58.
k. "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins" (John 8:24). The pronoun "he" is not in the original text.
l. When Jesus declared he was the "I AM" at his arrest, the men went backward and fell to the ground. John 18:5-8.1. "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9).
2. "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross" (Philippians 2:6-8). Jesus was God who came in the form of a man.
3. He is also the Star of David. "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star" (Revelation 22:16).
Bible Study Course